French Toast Strata with Raspberries (inspired by Ladies Home Journal)
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 7 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- Butter for the bottom of the dish
- 1 loaf of dense french bread (they call for brioche or challah but they didn’t have that at our store)
- 2 pints raspberries (I didn’t quite use all of these, maybe a pint and a half)
1. Mix together the eggs, milk, and 4 tablespoons sugar. In another bowl combine cream cheese with 1 tablespoon sugar. Generously butter a 9×13 baking dish. Note: I halved the recipe and used a smaller pan in the photos.
2. Quickly dip half of the sliced bread into the egg mixture and arrange them in a slightly overlapping layer on the bottom of the dish. Top with bits of the cream cheese and the raspberries. Pour remaining egg mixture over the top and sprinkle entire dish with 2 tablespoons sugar.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight (no more than 24 hours).
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and bake strata until eggs are set and top is golden, about 50 minutes; cover with foil if top gets too brown. You can also dust with some powdered sugar.
For another make ahead breakfast, try this granola recipe!