It was my super good girlfriend’s 29th birthday and we took her wine tasting in Amador (here in Northern California) last weekend. So, I had to make these awesome lemony birthday cake bars with all the fresh lemons that are in season right now.
(Adapted from Glenda Vickers on Just a Pinch)
- For the bars:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (salted), softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon zest
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 lemons, juiced
- mint leaves and lemon slices for garnish (don't forget the birthday candles!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 pan
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat the flour, sugar and butter
- Mix up the eggs, juice and zest and pour into the flour mixture - beat a couple of minutes until creamy
- Pour into the baking dish and cook for about 20-25 minutes depending on your oven, it took mine only 20
- Let your cake cool and make the glaze using more or less of each ingredient depending on how think you want it - mine was thinner so it seeped into the cake YUM
- Cut into squares and serve!
It was a great day, lots of sun, fabulous food and wine and lemon cake to top it all off – my favorite. P.S. you’ll want a corner piece.
Happy Birthday Carissa!
What do you do with lemons?